By Heather Gibbons | FBW | February 7, 2018
The Fund for a Better Waterfront (FBW), a non-profit organization working since 1990 to connect Hoboken’s waterfront with an undeniably public, contiguous park, is seeking a reliable part-time intern to assist our program staff.
With the belief that sound planning creates successful waterfronts, FBW has fought many battles – through advocacy, education, and sometimes legal action – to prevent the privatization of Hoboken’s waterfront. Today our vision of a truly public, fully-connected park along the waterfront is nearly complete.
In fact, FBW is hard at work on two of the remaining gaps in the proposed park: Union Dry Dock, a former industrial site recently purchased by NY Waterway for the refueling, storage and repair of its ferry fleet, and The Monarch, a pair of residential towers planned for Hoboken’s most northern pier by a developer who had previously committed the site as open space. FBW’s belief that both sites should be public parkland enjoys broad public support from local residents, elected officials and the City of Hoboken.
One part time position, approximately 20 flexible hours a week in our downtown Hoboken office; intern will be expected to help out in some or all of the following areas:
- Administrative: help maintain database (Salesforce software), general correspondence (Word, Excel), fundraising mailings, meeting preparation, etc.
- Research: Assist staff with research regarding legal issues, environmental regulations, and fundraising opportunities.
- Technical Website design/maintenance: provide assistance with website maintenance (WordPress) and design, newsletter production and social media campaigns.
- Advocacy: work with staff as needed to develop local grass-roots support for various issues or specific initiatives.
- Non-profit management: help staff in all aspects of running a small non-profit, including grant-writing, event-planning, marketing, board management, etc.
Ideal candidate will be reliable, work easily in an office environment, possess strong writing, computer and social media skills, and have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office. Candidate must be able to work out of our downtown Hoboken office (near Hoboken Terminal, PATH and NJ Transit).
Small monthly stipend available (approximately $500)
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to Heather Gibbons, Program Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.